Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Rowan Berkeley declares his admiration for Hitler

Someone lent me a collection of Saddam's speeches in English a few months ago, but I found I just couldn't be bothered to read it. I think all the sordid history of America's crooked dealings with him has been gone over so many times there's nothing left to be learned, and, given the ideological derivativeness of Ba'athism, I doubt if his speeches are as interesting (or relevant for us) as those of, say, Hitler.

I mention these because I have been reading them, and they are excellent. A lot of the most lurid quotes we all know, or think we know, turn out to be bogus ("Who now remembers the Armenians?" and "My greatest fear is that some schweinhund will come along with a mediation proposal", for instance).
Rowan Berkeley | 01.03.06 - 8:55 pm | #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home